Sunday, August 3, 2014

Why Doesn't God Do Something?

So much is going on in the world right now.

ISIS is executing Christians in Iraq



War between Israel and Hamas




Civilian Airplane shot down in the Ukraine.



And even in our own country..in our own home towns.

There are Homeless


There is violence


There is bullying.





So much Evil

You can't blame someone for 

Doubting God's Existence in the face of all this.

It makes the most faithful of us ask questions and feel doubt.






There is a new(ish) song out by Matthew West

Called "Do Something"

In this song he cries out to God, 

"Why don't you do something?!!"


And God responds,  "I did."


"I created you."




We are created to love and care for one another.

But when we look around

the amount of evil is overwhelming.

What can I do?



What can I do that will actually make a difference?

I can't change ISIS

I can't stop a war



I can't even stop the violence I see in my own home town.

And this reminds me of a story

A parable perhaps.

It's called:  The Starfish Story:


One day, a man was walking along the beach, enjoying the morning sun and cool breeze from the ocean.Suddenly, far off in the distance, he saw what looked like someone dancing.  But as he drew closer, the man noticed that it was a little girl picking up starfish from the shore and tossing them back into the ocean.As he approached the girl, he paused for a moment, kind of puzzled, then asked, “Young lady – why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?"
And she replied…”Well, the sun is up, and the tide is going out. If I leave these starfish on the beach, the sun will dry them up and they will die.”.
And the man said “But there are thousands of starfish washed up all along this beach for miles! You can’t possibly make a difference!”
The young girl thought for a moment, then slowly leaned over, and carefully picked up another starfish from the sand. And with the starfish in hand, she turned to the man and gently said “You may be right, but it’ll make a difference to this one!”
And with that, she reached back and threw the starfish as far as she could back into the ocean.

So while I may not be able to save the world. 
 Perhaps I can make a small difference. 
 By showing kindness to others.   

Helping someone in need.


Pay attention out there and you will see many opportunities
 to help others and show them 
the love of Christ.






Check out this video:








No comments:

Post a Comment